AO-40: getting ready for X-band !!

Dear All,

after a very successful week of S-band transponder operation, we are
now planning to go even a step further to test the 10 GHz X-band
downlink this weekend.

Michael Fletcher OH2AUE will assist our command team, when the X-band
solid state transmitter and TWT amplifier will be turned on for the
first time in orbit.

On Sunday, around 05:00 UTC, 2001-05-13, MA 165, the solid state X-band
amplifier will be turned on and adjusted. If everything goes well, than
the 60W TWT will also be turned on. Beacons will be used and probably
the L1-uplink.

The best advice is to watch the matrix settings during this time. They
will tell the story completely. We also plan to connect the C-band
receiver to the X-band downlink :-)

At the end, we will turn off the X-band, but MAY leave the C-band Rx on
and connected to the S2 Tx.

Indeed, S-band transponder operation on S2 (with RUDAK on S2) will
continue. It is always possible that tansponder operation will be interrupted
during some other tests.

Please keep the Middle Beacon (MB) clear and your own signal should
be about 10dB lower than the beacon.
The MB is about 8dB stronger than the General Beacon (GB), but there is
no GB on S2.

Check also http://www.amsat-dl.org/journal/adlj-p3d.htm  for latest
news in german and english.

Good Luck,