Connectors on the Drake

Hi folks.  Last night I dug up the Drake I bought a while ago to finally do the mods to it (it's been a busy year).

I opened it up and removed the shields.  Looks just like the pictures.

I recall that someone mentioned that they replaced the F connector with a BNC.  Does that affect (help) performance any, having a 50 ohm
connector rather than the 75 ohm F connector?  Suggested sources for a good-fit BNC?  Do most of you just use an adapter, then goop
everything up to keep out the weather?

The instructions I have for the mods isn't especially detailed.  I'm assuming I have to unsolder and remove both connectors in order to install
the new crystal.  Am I right?

David, ky0dr