Re: Type N connectors question for the experts.

I've held off commenting so far.

A couple years ago I bought some connectors for LMR-400 from Downeast
Microwave that sound like the connectors being described.  I was very
frustrated with their assembly as the center conductor had to be threaded
into the front-piece and shield soldered thru holes like a PL-259; unlike
standard N-connectors which have a separate gold-plated center pin.
Instead of the Amphenol connector I have found the silver plated
N-connector from RF-Parts to be superior and easy to assemble.  It uses the
normal center pin and compression nut with gasket.  Very reliable.  Part
No. RFN-1002-IS1 ~$6/ea. and $5.50 in quantity.

It fits both Belden 9913 or Times LMR-400 [which I prefer and recommend].
LMR-400 uses a solid foam insulator vs the polyethylene-bead and air
insulator of the 9913 and is much less susceptible to moisture
contamination if properly sealed with something like coax seal.  LMR-400
also has excellent shielding as it uses both foil and woven wire shields.
The solid copper center conductor will not migrate in a bend and cause poor
SWR like 9913 either.  It has the same loss factor as 9913 and costs
$0.59/foot.  Both cable and connectors are available from:
http://www.rfparts.com

Ed