Re: AO-40 Test 05/08 (long)

In a message dated 5/9/2001 11:13:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time, kd6ozh@gte.net
writes:

> It does depend on the output device but a 25-ohm load will require more
>  current to acheive the same output voltage and any bandpass filters on the
>  receiver inputs will not see 50-ohms so the responses will be altered.
>
>  73,
>
>  John
>  KD6OZH

Hi John,

That's correct, but first let's not forget the Drake converter is a 75 ohm
output. We're all using them at 50 ohms now..... Frankly I can't see getting
that crazy for simple testing. Any additional losses I see from the simple
split I do is offset by the fact I have a 20 dB pad inline because I have way
too much gain feeding my IF. So I loose 6 dB. No big deal....I set the pad at
-15.

Now if I were splitting up at the dish/preamp at 2.4G you bet I'd be real
conservative and do some matched power dividing and really get crazy!

BTW, I plan to play with a 3 way split this weekend. I will use one rig for
QSO's, and second rig for Telemetry and also hook up my old Jerrold VSM-1 TV
Field Strength Meter. (psuedo spectrum analyzer used as a band scope). That
way I'll be able to view the whole transponder and all carriers including the
beacon and also watch telemetry (and talk to folks). Should be fun!

73,
Mike, N1JEZ
AMSAT #29649
Local Area Coordinator