RE: L Band Uplink Experience - AO40

Hi John,

I would say it is "good" to "very good."  About the only thing that keeps
it from being "excellent" is the fact the wire in the helix is soft
aluminum, and its cost :)  It wasn't cheap--I bought both a 30 turn 2.4 GHz
helix and 20 turn 1.2 GHz helix at the same time.  It was about $300 US
total for the pair by the time I paid for shipping, etc.  I did have to
reshape the end of the helix a bit, as it had been squished a bit during
shipping.

I would call the matching part perhaps a little fragile?  The aluminum wire
is flattened, and a hole is drilled through it so a small bolt passes
through and is attached with a washer/nut.

While I can't truly measure the SWR, I have pretty good faith in the "power
out" indication on my TS-790A.  If it's reading about 80-100% of full
scale, it's a good match (as measured/tested on 2M and 70cm).  The match
appears to be good, and it appears to work pretty well as I worked a couple
of stations today with what has to be less than 5 watts at the antenna.

I expect at least several years of good service from it, so overall I'm
happy with it.  If I were to do it again, I might have built one and saved
some good money.  However, I didn't like the idea of burning up my $600
1.2GHz module with a poorly matched antenna ;-)

As for the 30 turn helix--it's in the closet since the 2'x3' BBQ style dish
I bought with my TranSystem converter clearly+ out performs the helix.  I'm
thinking it might be fun as the receiver side of a portable setup.

73,

Mark N8MH

At 03:52 PM 5/9/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi Mark, I was wondering what your thoughts were on the
>Wimo helix antenna.  I'm thinking about purchasing one
>but you're the first I heard that actually put one to the
>test.  How's the quality and construction, etc. ?
>
>TNX & '73,
>
>John
>N2HMM

Mark L. Hammond  [N8MH]