Re: AO-40 Last Night

when i got aos here, it was about ma 130. beacon was sounding good and i
was copying telemetry, satellite was 64,000km.

at ma135, i did not hear the transponder come on but did hear it around ma
136. i tested for my uplink and i heard myself just perfectly. i was 59 to i8cvs
in italy running 35 watts into an m2 15x2 circular polarized antenna. he was
equally as strong to me.

he had both 70cm and 1.2g for uplink and switched between both. he said he
was running 60 watts on the 1.2g uplink (don't remember on the 70cm). i
could barely tell the difference between the 2 uplink signals. the 1.2g did have
a slight edge, maybe it sounded crisper.

i tried backing my power down to 3-5 watts to see how that sounded and i
could get into the satellite just fine, but i was barely above the noise floor.
going to 15 watts, i was readable with a little bit of difficulty. so i found 35
watts was necessary to have a qso.

then i went to bed. don't know how many more europeans got on after that as
it was around 5am local time for them and they were starting to get up for
their day.

73...bruce