Re: opinions on FT817 & IC910 for satellites

Hello This is Yoshi.

At 2001/05/08 22:04:10 Jens Schmidt wrote:
> I wonder if any of you have tried the Yaesu FT817
> or Icom IC910H (+UX910) for satellite use.
> Are they useful or even good ?

  What sat would you like to QRV with FT-817? And Do you want to use only
one FT-817 for FM-sat comms?

  I am using FT-817 for both FM-sat and AO-40 beacon receiving. Due to
the heavy uplink QRM from asian commercial comms, 5W output is not enough
for UO-14 or AO-27 at here. So I put a 20W amp to push up. usually.
  And I am using standard C-501 (domestic version of C-508) small handy
transceiver for UO-14 or AO-27 downlink. I never tried to uplink without
hearing downlink, because full-duplex operation is the most inportant
thing to make QSO with heave QRM condition. We have to check our voice
is on downlink or not.

  But I think the uplink of VK/ZL will very clear! 5W or even 2W uplink
power will be get a good downlink without hearing the downlink.
  FT-817 has a split operation mode. You can set VFO-a for uplink and
VFO-b for downlink. But the FT-817 does not have full-duplex ability.
You cannot hear anything during you are transmitting. If you want to
QRV on RS or FO sat (ofcause AO-10 or AO-40), You should have two FT-817
or another full-duplex rigs likes as IC-821/910, FT-847 etc.

  For the receiver, FT-817 works very good! Its frequency can be extended
to receive 122MHz so you can use Drake2880 without Xtal mods Hi.

  73 de Yoshi.

Yoshihiro Imaishi JF6BCC/KH2GR
GL:PM53JV, ex KC6IY(T88IY),V63BP
mailto:jf6bcc@jarl.com or jf6bcc@jamsat.or.jp