Re: AO40 downlink signal strength

Ed Krome wrote:

> Message text written by INTERNET:nx7u@arrl.net
> >
> Is this an accurate synopsis of the situation?  Is it possible that
> "easy to get on mode-S downlink" is that suboptimum?
>
> I'm not trying to ruffle feathers here, but these thoughts are what so
> far have paralyzed my efforts to get mode S going.  <
> -------
>
> Don't be paralyzed! My little survey of first day AO40 users yielded a
> surprising number of unmodified Drakes (~3+ db NF) parked behind barbeque
> grill dishes that did just fine. Yes, the UEK3000SAT is a tiger and there
> were a few behind tiny 16 turn helix's. But there were a LOT of Drakes,
> Transystems, DEMI's, homebrews, oddballs, what have you.
> As the commercial says "just do it".

Choice words Ed , my troubles at this point seem to be that whenever the
'sat is in "optimum range" , I am in bed or at work :^{

Anybody else in or near my 47'deg.north locale that is actually able to
hear the beacon ?

I have failed so far with two different drakes and a 60cm dish with a
commercial feed ( some strange elkhorn shaped pc-board layout ) .....

I hear lots of u-wave oven noise at dinner time and breakfast ( which by
the way my '847's noise blanker gets rid of completely :)  ) but thats
about it , I guess its time to build a beacon and stick it on one of the
local mountaintops for testing ........

--
Douglas Cole   N7BFS
AMSAT#26182 , K2 # 544