Re: AO40 downlink signal strength

Message text written by INTERNET:nx7u@arrl.net

Is this an accurate synopsis of the situation?  Is it possible that
"easy to get on mode-S downlink" is that suboptimum?

I'm not trying to ruffle feathers here, but these thoughts are what so
far have paralyzed my efforts to get mode S going.  <
-------

Don't be paralyzed! My little survey of first day AO40 users yielded a
surprising number of unmodified Drakes (~3+ db NF) parked behind barbeque
grill dishes that did just fine. Yes, the UEK3000SAT is a tiger and there
were a few behind tiny 16 turn helix's. But there were a LOT of Drakes,
Transystems, DEMI's, homebrews, oddballs, what have you.
As the commercial says "just do it".

Ed K9EK