Doppler tuning software

A few weeks ago I reported the results of my investigation of various Doppler tuning software packages.  Since then, I have been evaluating test versions of the SatPC32 satellite tracking program with my FT-847.  The author Erich Eichmann DK1TB has now added "transparent" tuning for the FT-847.  SatPC32 now supports "transparent" automatic Doppler tuning for the FT-847, TS-2000, and Icom satellite radios.  When automatic Doppler tuning is enabled with these radios, the user can manually tune across an analog transponder using the VFO knob, mouse clicks, or the cursor keys.

In a few days the updated version of SatPC32 will be available for download from DK1TB's WWW site:

http://home.t-online.de/home/erich.eichmann/indexeng.htm <http://home.t-online.de/home/erich.eichmann/indexeng.htm>

The unregistered version is fully functional except that the user's lat/lon coordinates cannot be stored and must be entered at program start.  The registered version will be sold by AMSAT-DL Warenvertrieb.

Here are some Doppler tuning attributes of SatPC32 that you will not find in InstantTune:

1. Supports more radios: TS-2000, FT-847, FT-736, Icom satellite radios.
2. Displays RX and TX frequencies on the computer screen.
3. Allows tuning via mouse and keyboard as well as the VFO knob.
4. Adjustable Doppler tuning frequency increment.
5. Supports uplink-only and downlink-only, as well as "full" Doppler tuning.
6. A true Windows application that does NOT use a DOS TSR.

InstantTune has two Doppler tuning attributes not found in SatPC32:

1. The TX mode automatically "follows" changes in the RX mode.
2. Supports FT-817 (G6LVB driver mod) and radios with up/down Mic button tuning.

If anybody else has updated information about Doppler tuning software, please send it to me and/or Paul Williamson kb5mu@amsat.org <mailto:kb5mu@amsat.org>       Thanks!

Wayne Estes W9AE
Mundelein, IL, USA