Target AO-40 Downlink Strength

Howdy,

I just picked this up from the AMSAT-DL site:

============
Please note: QSO-signal strength should be 10 dB below Middle Beacon (MB)
strength, as MB is +10 dB to GB, which gives maximum QSO-strength.
============

So, monitor the beacon and adjust your uplink so you don't exceed the MB
level minus ~2S units (assuming 6 dB/S unit) or more realistically for most
radios minus ~3 S Units (because most radios seem to be closer to 3dB/S unit).

I always set one of my vfo's to monitor the beacon so I can switch quickly to
see its current S meter reading.

73,
Mike, N1JEZ
AMSAT #29649