SETI@HOME Status

Although less exciting than having AO-40 fired up for the first time, let me
report on the AMSAT SETI@HOME team's progress.

First, I commend an article by our own Paul Shuch (N6TX) in the latest
(May/June 2001) issue of QEX. In particular, see Paul's text (pg.12) and the
sidebar (pg.13) for a description of  what your computer is actually doing
and how you "own" a 9.7 kHz wide "hunk" of spectrum for one particular set
of sky coordinates for each work unit you process.

It's less than 3 weeks since I suggested that AMSAT folks start contributing
to the SETI@HOME effort as a team. In that time, 71 individuals have heeded
the call and AMSAT has accounted for a total of 49421 work units as seen at
   http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/cgi?cmd=team_lookup&name=amsat

If you look at the groups (teams) listing for clubs at
   http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/team_list.html
you will see that the "top 100 clubs" (which actually shows 200, not 100
teams) shows position #200 being held by Team Bulgaria with 49362 work
units. Since I don't know how often the "top guns" entries are regenerated,
it appears that there is a good chance that AMSAT has, in less than three
weeks, broken into the Top 200 list!

For those of you who are not yet donating your spare CPU cycles (and a bit
of electricity), you can join the SETI@HOME effort. Simply go to
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu and download the SETI "engine" (available
for Windoze, Mac, Linux, etc) using your Email address as an account name.
Then go to
   http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/cgi?cmd=team_lookup&name=amsat
and click JOIN.

Thanks for participating. May ET Call Home Real Soon Now!

73 de Tom, W3IWI

http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/stats/team/team_21897.html