RE: Survey: L and S minimums

Hi Ed,

Here is my setup in Lilburn, GA:

Regards,
Steve Diggs, W4EPI

>What were you all using?

(S-band downlink)

R. 30" Meyers BBQ dish on top of 72' Tower
UEK3000SAT downconverter/preamp
150' - 9913 or slightly better
FT736r

MB was strong from 0000z until LOS. At peak, it was S6-S8. Heard the first
QSO at 0403Z...a Euro call. Listened to KB8VAO and KC4YRT put on a real show
for everybody. (Great job, guys) My Rx capability is my stations strong
point. I heard any QSO on the transponder I wanted to hear. Definitely heard
some folks running more power than they needed to, and I suspect they knew
it.

(U-band uplink)
FT76r
Mirage D26 brick
150' 9913 or slightly better
M2 20 ele CP beam

Here, my station (and me) was/were just terrible.
1. I wasn't ready to use CW to find my downlink. (See Lessons Learned)
2. Didn't understand how to use the Sat frequency tracking function in the
FT736 on an inverting transponder. (Tks KK5DO for 'splaining the situation)
3. Not only did my D26 brick have a messed-up frontend, it was dragging my
736 output down to 15 watts.

Lessons Learned:
1. Today, 5/5/2001, at the end of the first transponder sequence, and also
given first day operating practices, 15 watts out of the 736 was <not>
enough to conduct a QSO. Thanks to N4IP, K3XS, KB8VAO, and NE1H, et.al. for
giving it a darn good try.
2. An FT736 is set up to use an iambic keyer, not old style single
contact-style keys. Just push the plug in part way, and it works fine. This
is an essential piece of station operations. (I think this little tidbit of
info is at least as old as the first all-mode satellite; somehow it just
never got into my databank)
3. There is a wide variation of frequency calibrations at work in setups
using downconverters and such. We were chasing the differences between our
systems most of the transponder sequence. The idea to transmit your Rx freq
as referenced to xx KHz above or below the MB is a <terrific> idea.
4. Use of the Chatnet IRC channel (#amsat) proved invaluable in not only
getting help, but coordinating QSOs. If you aren't using this IRC channel,
you are missing one of the NEATEST new aspects to AMSAT/satellite
communications. At this time, one can safely say that AMSAT never sleeps
because of Chatnet.