AO-40 Report

Hello to All,

What a blast on AO-40 this morning.  I arrived in the shack at 0930Z (50K
range) and I could hear the beacon clearly and also heard a couple of CW
and SSB signals but KB8VAO was the only call I could pull out.  Made a CW
contact at 1010Z (48K range) with W4AD but signals were very weak on my
downlink.

Had to leave and returned at 1215Z to find many readable signals.  Made
my first SSB contact at 1225Z (35K range).  Made a total of 12 contacts
and was in QSO with N3OY when the transponder ceased operation at phase
240.

Downlink is a 21 turn helix into a Drake with all the G0MRF mods into a
123 to 29 mhz converter and a FT-840.

Uplink was a Down East Microwave transverter running 30 watts into a pair
of 22 element K1FO style yagis.

It was obvious that the dish antennas were much better than my helix but
I was pleased never the less.  Thanks to all for the QSO's and I will try
to improve my downlink system soon.

73 de Jess - W4MVB