AO-40: First uplink trial disappointing.....

Hi Robert,
My uplink set is similar to yours, a single 13dBi 11 elYagi (Cushcraft
A44911S in vertical pol) and 50 Watts (FT-847). With this set (very modest) I
was able to uplink from MA 211 this morning with very good donwlink signals
S up to 9 and R5, excellent for SSB (D/Link antenna today was a 28 turn
helix) . If I remember well I think you were not on the footprint at this
time, before that -when Germany was clearly in the footprint- I tried and was
not able to copy my downlink. I don't know exactly why but I spent a lot of
time (nervous and excited) to find my D/link signal. I was hearing very well
the NA stations my copy was no so good from the EU stations. At the time I
had to leave 12:30 UTC, the signals were really strong (S9).
So, do not despair wait for a better conditions you are gonna enjoy it!!!
73 de antonio

Antonio Fernandez, M.D. KC2HAX / EA4LE
Belle Mead, NJ
e-mail: kc2hax@amsat.org