RE: Survey: L and S minimums

Hello All!

Ed K9EK asked for some info on L mode uplink stations, and I thought adding
my data to the MUCH APPRECIATED listings people have been placing on the
list today might be helpful.  I find these results/equipment listings by
others really helpful in letting me know 'how I am doing' in terms of uplink
/ downlink capability.

First I will list my station details, then my results.  I apologize for any
errors in the listings.  I was as nervous as a Novice on day 1 and
scribbling quickly, and it was rather early in the day for me.

Rig:  ICOM-970H with 1.2G and 2.4 G internal modules.
	Output:  40 watts on 435 MHz  10 watts on 1.2 GHz
Antennas:  M2 436-CP42U/G on 435 MHz;  vertical stack of 4 M2 23CM22EZ on
1269 MHz (cut for 1296);  horizontal array of 2 Directive Systems
'SuperBlowtorch' loop antennas for 2400 (23.4 dB gain for one yagi).  This
is cut for 2304 and I use it for terrestrial work also, where a Myers Dish
(which I have sitting in the attic) can't be used with stock feed as it
doesn't like 100 Watts being put into it.

Preamps:  SSB Electronics on the mast for each band

Coax Run:  LONG...unfortunately...shack is far from tower; tower has to go
up high for some activities==> 100 feet of LMR-600 and then 50 feet of 5/8
inch hardline

For bands 435 and above I have my gains set so that I get a perceptible
increase in noise when I turn on the preamp for a given band, but no S meter
reading when the preamp is turned on.  With this technique I get no S meter
readings from the satellite.  All signal strengths are relative.  This
method of setting gain has worked very well for several years in weak signal
work.  In contests I regularly work into Massachusetts and West Virginia on
both 1296 and 2304 MHz.  Today I was able to copy many more than could copy
me, so I am satisfied with the setup in that regard;  my ears outdistance my
xmit reach.

time Distance squint UBand mode Station RS(T)2me RS(T)byme
0924  53500    62      U    CW    AB9V   559      579
0938  52600    61      U    CW    KK2L   549      579
0956  51300    60      U    SSB   VE7BBG 45       58
1005  50600    60      U    CW    G3WDG  559      439
1017  49600    59      U    SSB   K5QXJ           45
1030  48600    58      U    CW    W7AM   559      559
1045  47300    49      L    CW    W3SZ-TEST BANDL 559
1128  43120    54      U    SSB   W1BFN  57       57
1136  42100    53      U    SSB   KB8VAO 55       59
1142  41400    53      U    SSB   W4AD   54       58
1148  40800    52      U    SSB   N3JNX  58       59
1157  39700    51      U    SSB   WL7BQM 57       57
1222  36500    49      L    SSB   WD4FAB 52       58
1228  35700    49      U    SSB   W4MVB  43       57
1326  26400    38      L    SSB   W4WSR  S2       58
1331  25500    37      L    SSB   N5ALO  45       52
1335  24700    36      L    SSB   KA1JMF 55       57

Also called, not worked W4SM, K9EK, N1JEZ,KB2WQM.

I always had excellent copy on my L band uplink; from the first test noted
above, that is.  Others had more trouble with it.  It was clearly weaker
than the U band uplink, and on several occasions where I marked 'U' above I
had first called with 'L' with no result.  I heard my downlink, but the
other station did not.

Hope that helps.  Feel free to email with any other questions...

Have to go to work now, but back later this afternoon

73,

Roger Rehr
W3SZ ex AA3QK, WA3JYM  FN20ah
2 Merrymount Road