More AO-40

I haven't had this much fun in a long time!

I got on at 0820 UTC and made my first U/s contact with Clare, VE3NPC. AO-40
was 57,000 km+ away from me at the time. S downlink was S2-3. I continued to
make more contacts including several L/s tests. I could clearly hear my
downlink at 55,000 km. At 51,000 km VE3NPC and I completed an L/s contact on
both ends. Thanks again Clare! From there on in, it only got better.

The comment I heard most often was how weak the S downlink was for some
folks. In these situations, the natural tendency is to increase uplink power.
Without the benefit of Leila, I'm sure quite a few of us were running too
much uplink power. BUT, as it took the command team quite a bit of time to
"learn to fly the s/c" it will take us ops a bit of time to get a good feel
for Uplinks and Downlinks.

My final tally was 24 contacts including some DX. A great first day! Let's
hope for many more.

73,
Mike, N1JEZ
AMSAT #29649