AO-40 Uplink requirements

Greetings,

     I am very pleased with the TranSysstem downconverter combo.  I think I
could hear about as well as anyone.  At times the beacon was S5 on the
FT-847 (I have an S0 noise floor).  Only a couple stations were able to
approach the beacon in strength, but I don't think anyone was able to reach
it.

     I'm kind of curious as to what was being run on the uplink.  I was
running 50 Watts into an 8x8 right hand circular (Not switchable at the
present) antenna on 435 MHz.  This defintely did NOT get the job done.  I
could hear myself, but not well.  Several other stations couldn't hear me at
all.  It will be kind of sad to retire my 8x8 as it has served me well for
many years (It worked great on AO-13 with 10 watts) and still works good on
AO-10.

73,
Joe
ka0yos@amsat.org