Re: Beacon frequency og AO-40

At 20:46 04-05-2001, you wrote:
>Hello,
>can anybody tell me the exact frequency of AO-40's S-beacon?
>Thanks in advance!

I have been wondering about that one too, Albrecht.

I have ONCE heard the bird with a 5-turn helix tagged onto a 1mtr dish
which is pointed at 13 deg East (HB). No preamp, just 2 mtr of 75 ohm
foam-insulated coax meant for DTH. I then waited until AO-40 was supposed
to come into view at this position, to avoid moving the dish, standing
rather unsequred in the corner of my apartment, looking out the window....

I DID hear AO-40 at this occasion, rather weakly, but 7 to 8 kilohertz
HIGHER than expected after dopplercorrection, assuming an initial frq of
2401.323 Mhz.
So, this either means that the doppler-calculation was way off, or that the
receiver was.... :-|

Can we please have someone (from the commandteam, maybe, if they have the
time?) comment as to the exact frq without doppler?

Is this frq, whatever it is, stable, or does the termal changes onboard
change anything?

If not, can we please, if possible, have an educated guess as to the change
to be expected?

/speculator on/

Here on earth at room-temperature it is hard enough to get such frequencies
stable with respect to narrowband, so i suppose in a SC being deepfrozen at
eclipse and toasted at the sun-side when not in eclipse it must be much harder?

Does gold-foil only get you so far?
Does AO-40 have any?

/speculator off/

Disclaimer:
Please don't consider this as whining, I am just trying to make sense of
some (maybe flawed) observations. At S-band I can't find any reference
signals for comparison yet. The only exeption is the LO of my other
receiver, a COM205 (Pro-2006) which i wouldn't trust as a reference :-)

73 de OZ1LRG, Jens