From: owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org]On
Behalf Of Estes Wayne-W10191
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2001 11:32 AM
To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Subject: [amsat-bb] 2401 MHz beacon advice

This morning I tried to hear the AO40 beacon for the first time and didn't
hear anything.  I listened at MA207 and MA212.  My setup is a TranSystem
with 2 foot dish.  I hear noise in the receiver when I switch in the
downconverter, so I think it is working.  I'm powering it with 20V minus IR
drop in 50 feet of RG6.  Elevation was about 40 degrees, definitely above
the budding Maple trees.  I'm using the 26 April Keplerian elements, but
didn't do anything special to calibrate my rotors.

I think I should try again when the signal is strongest.  That would make it
easier for me to check the rotor calibration and find the signal when tuning
over a wide range.

So my questions are:

1. Which MA range gives the strongest signal now and for the next few days?

2. What beacon IF frequency range are people seeing with unmodified
TranSystem downconverters?  (I think I tuned from about 123.2 to 123.4 MHz)

Wayne Estes W9AE
Mundelein, IL, USA