Re: 2401 MHz beacon advice

Wayne,

I get the best signals from MA240 and on until AO40 gets low on the
horizon.  Signals can be incrediably strong.  If you get in the right spot
and everything is working you WILL hear it.  I can hear it earlier but can
not get any good CRC blocks.

I think you are tuning a little low, and that may have been your problem
today.  I have found that my 3733 in the stock configuration is somewhere
around 27 to 35 khz high in frequency.  This same approximate value has
been noticed by a few others as well.  I have copied AO40, depending on
doppler, from 123.350 to 123.400 using my 3733.

I use manual rotors.  I have noticed, with my setup, that the elevation
rotor is not that critical.  But, the signal seems to be very sensitive to
the Azmith  rotor movements.  When I positioned the dish by hand at ground
level I had no problem finding the signal.  Using a compass and protractor.

Check out pictures for reference at
http://downtown.ala.net/~mkingery/

Good luck,
73 KE4AZN