Re: TS-790a Mute and AO-40

Hrm..perhaps I was wrong on my initial reply about this!

I've hooked up AO40Rcv to my TS-790A.  I have 2M in the MAIN band (using
TranSystem converted to 144MHz). I've set AO40Rcv to use "Manual Rate
Control" and have "Doppler Correction" set to +10Hz/sec.  The VFO is indeed
slowly moving down in frequency, and I do *NOT* hear the mute on the
audio!  VFO freq. goes up with -10Hz/sec--and still no muting!

So--not sure when the muting happens.  Maybe when it's switching from MAIN
to SUB, and back and forth via serial commands?  Not sure which command(s)
cause it, but I still hear obvious muting on the MAIN band while working a
digital bird with Wisp+WispDDE controlling both uplink/downlink freqs.

This simple test is encouraging, Rich.  Maybe you can work S-band telem.
okay without doing the anti-mute mod.

If I'm lucky enough to slip home for a "long lunch" during the good pass
tomorrow, I'll give it a shot and let you know how it went.

73,

Mark

At 04:53 AM 4/29/2001, Rich Dailey, KA8OKH wrote:

>I have an unmodified Kenwood ts-790a with the "mute
>problem"  when being controlled by the pc.
>Would like to gather comments regarding use of the 790a
>for tlm reception of ao-40 (144mhz).  Does the rx work unmodified,
>does the modification really help,  etc.  I trying to determine whether
>or not to freq convert a transystem for use with this radio (790 doesn't
>rx 123 mhz).
>
>Using Fodtrack and ao40rcv.
>
>tnx de Rich

Mark L. Hammond  [N8MH]