Re: TNC Software (Hyperterm tip)

At 01:19 AM 4/30/01, you wrote:
>Bob Bruninga wrote:
>

>>In my minority opinion, you are best not to use any software at all, but
>>just use any dumb terminal emulator such as HYPERTERM that is built into
>>any PC.. THis way YOU are operating the TNC and not someone else's
>>software.
>
>I heartily endorse this approach. A TNC is a little communications
>computer all on it's own. In the olden days they weer used with just a
>"dumb" terminal with no processing smarts of it's own at all...just a RTTY
>without the R.
>
>Of course...Hyperterm comes with *Windows*; it's not "built into any PC".
>Folks who are running Linux can use Minicom, and DOS users have to go
>scrounge something like Telix or Procomm. Or Term90, which used to come
>with Norton Commander.

Hi all, ditto on above. You should be able to find Hyperterminal at:
Start -> Accessories -> Communications -> HyperTerminal

Tip! make sure you double check the port settings and the speed then quit
the program! HyperTerminal will only use the new settings after closing the
program and restarting. This is sure to throw a beginner into a loop if not
aware.

>I better stop before I trigger another nostalgiafest.
>
>Palm Pilot TNC users have ptelnet....

And Online - I think it's at: http://www.markspace.com/online  great macros
available. I'm working on perfecting a full set for VHF packet and hope to
post a Palm packet how-to available soon.

Take care, Dale kf4sir

>  73 de Maggie K3XS

-
Dale Coleman