Re: Type N connectors question for the experts.

"Vince Fiscus, KB7ADL" wrote:

> I use clamp style N connectors.  I needed some more so I ordered
> some.  When they came, they were different from anything I've
> seen.  Basically, they are two pieces one looks like the solder end on a
> PL-259 with an N type tip. The other piece is the rest of the Type N
> body.  All together it makes an N connector.
>
> Are these connectors any good? I've never seen ones like this before.  Do
> they maintain proper impedance like the regular ones do?  Should I send
> them back and find clamp on style?  I use Belden 9913 and Belden 8267 cable.

They are great!  They are mechanically FAR better than the clamp style N
connectors, and in my opinion, much easier to install.  I will NEVER go back to
the clamp style connectors.  Just like a PL-259 however, your 27 watt iron will
not generate enough heat to solder them.  I have a heavy duty high temperature
45 watt iron and it works fine, but I would not use anything smaller for the
shield connection.

73
Jim Walls - K6CCC
k6ccc@amsat.org