Re: TS-790a Mute and AO-40

Hi Rich,

My guess is that you won't get any CRC ok blocks unless you do the mod.  It
will create a "gap" right in the middle of the data...only way possible is
if the commands are sent between blocks (which isn't going to happen unless
somebody very clever writes some incredible code...).  Or that doppler
change is SO SLOW that no commands are sent to the rig during a block (not
going to happen much, if ever, based on the all the passes I've worked so
far...)

I did the anti-mute mod to my TS-790A quite a few years back---it was to
the sub band only.  So, it would be reasonable to use the sub band with the
DN; commands sent from within AO40Rcv.  In fact, putting one of the
TranSystems converted to 144MHz out on the dish is one of the things on my
"to do" list this week!  Perhaps today even...

For now, I've been using the Icom PCR-1000 and stock xtal in the
TranSystem.  But it does require me being here for the whole pass.  What's
a pity is that 1)Wisp doesn't predict doppler well enough (I'm assuming
it's because of AO-40's orbit, combined with the S2 beacon freq?),  2)Nova
for Windows doesn't have doppler correction/freq. control  3) that The
Station 2 hasn't been released yet :)

73,

Mark N8MH