TS-790a Mute and AO-40

I have an unmodified Kenwood ts-790a with the "mute
problem"  when being controlled by the pc.
Would like to gather comments regarding use of the 790a
for tlm reception of ao-40 (144mhz).  Does the rx work unmodified,
does the modification really help,  etc.  I trying to determine whether
or not to freq convert a transystem for use with this radio (790 doesn't
rx 123 mhz).

Using Fodtrack and ao40rcv.

tnx de Rich