Re: Question on Operating RS-12

On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 08:51:15AM +1000, Tony Langdon wrote:
> > I'd like to try RS-12 in Mode A.  I was able to hear the SSB
> > downlink on 10 Meters with my old IC-728 rig and a 10 Meter
> > inverted-v.  Can I hit the bird with a 2 Meter vertical or do
> > I need a directional antenna system?
> >
> > Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.
>
> I have worked it with a vertical on 2m, so it's well worth a try.  It's not
> ideal, but can result in useable signals on the downlink.

I'd say 20-50 watts into a vertical on 2m works great on RS-12.

I made my second ever contact on that satellite yesterday. About 30
watts to a 5/8 lambda vertical on 2m, receiving on a multiband HF
vertical. Beacon gets up to S6 on a good pass.

Actually I've made plenty of contacts with myself on RS-12,
but those don't really count.

Hamish