Volunteer Ground Stations Needed for University Project

Dear AMSAT members:

       Our names are Barry Tobias and Stephen Forbes and we are students at
Washington University in St. Louis.  As you may know, this summer,
adventurist Steve Fossett will be attempting to circumnavigate the world,
solo, in his balloon.  He will be launching from Kalgoorlie, in southwestern
Australia.  Stephen and I are part of a group (Project ARIA) that focuses on
space systems engineering, including the development of a CubeSat (10 cm3
satellite).  We have been given the opportunity to fly a prototype of this
satellite, demonstrating key technologies, aboard Mr. Fossett's balloon.
Along with acquiring various types of data, we will also be acquiring images
and transmitting them back to the ground station in St. Louis.  We have
designed the system so that it will autonomously transmit the data, via
amateur satellites, to our St. Louis ground station, where we will download
the data.

        Currently we are working with Roy Welch with respect to this
process, however, if anyone would like to pass on any advice regarding this,
we would be more than happy to hear from you.  We are also looking at the
possibilities of having ground stations (in Australia, Southern America,
South Pacific, and Southern Africa) to download some of the data and send it
back to us via the internet.  If any of you may be interested in being one
of these ground stations, please let us know.  You can contact us at
VolStations@hotmail.com.

Sincerely,

Barry Tobias (KG4LAK)
Project ARIA Student Coordinator

Stephen Forbes (KD7LKG)
Project Palantir Communications Officer

Professor Keith Bennett
Affiliate Associate Professor of Computer Science
Campus Box 1045
One Brookings Drive
St. Louis, MO 63130-4899
(314) 935-6648