Re: Converter gain and noise..

At 14:45 26-04-2001, you wrote:
>Hi Jens,
>
>You touched on a subject that has bothered me lately.  I think the
>inflated signal reports do a lot to discourage those who are still
>working on their receiving system.  That included me until I did some
>measurements for myself.  Yesterday I did receive some pretty good
>signals for over an hour.  The signal strength indicated on the S-meter
>was S5 over a 1 1/2 S-unit noise level but I measured the actual S/N
>level at only about 8 to 10 db using an external IF atten.  With my
>set-up using an extra down converter to get to 29 mhz from 123 mhz my
>S-units in that range are only about 2 db each!.

Yes, S-units are a bit cheap these days.
Of my rigs only my old ICOM IC-R70 gets anywhere near 6dB per S-unit.
I wonder how many of the rig-designers are contest-operators :-(

>It really is exciting to me thought to see so many people copying the
>signal.  I hope the message gets around to all those I talk to who think
>AO-40 is only going to be useful to the "techie group".

Well, it USED to be, but lately I have seen reports getting better as the
squint gets better. I have only heard the bird once by putting a 5-turn
LHCP Helix at the feedpoint of my 100cm Ku-band dish aimed at 13deg East,
and then waiting for the bird to get in range. Still wondering which preamp
to buy/build.

73 de OZ1LRG, Jens