RE: Converter gain and noise..

> However, in case of high quality converters this may not hold true if
> feeding an older rig....

Which is what I hope to have as my final configuration.  Someone recently
posted an excellent article on the ins and outs of very low noise receiving
systems and the various issues involved, including correct gain structure
and clipping in the IF stages (easier done with excessive converter gain).
I think it was on the microwave list, sometime in the last couple of months.

> It's the old story with having to find the weakest link in
> the chain before
> you can fix it.

And making sure it's a _system_, not just a collection of boxes cobbled
together.