Converter gain and noise..

Hi

Have anyone experimented with attenuators on the much famed DRAKE and other
converters?

I ask because here on the BB i regulary see people boast that AO40 was so
and so many dB over S9 at their site, but a little later they mention, as
if in passing, that their noisefloor is S5!

This to me indicates vastly excessive gain for the given noisefigure?....

Doesn't anyone care about large-signal handling anymore.
Please dont tell me that we are all turning CB-mode, brains off :-(

When the 2.4Ghz band becomes more crowded by commercial signals we will
HAVE TO face this problem, i suspect.

73 de OZ1LRG