Re: FT-817 Question

Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 11:42:25AM -0700, Jim Walls wrote:
> >     As far as I'm concerned, the lack of full duplex makes it TOTALLY
> > UNACCEPTABLE for the linear satellites.  This was truly stupid on the part of
> > Yaesu.
>
> How do you expect them to fit in a duplexer with sufficient isolation
> within the space and pricing constraints? Concurrent transmit and
> receive will also use more power, require larger LCD etc.

Remember that almost every dual band VHF / UHF radio currently made has cross-band
full duplex (including many handhelds).  It would appear that this is not an
issue.  Diplexers are not all that large.  As to increased power, you're talking
about a few milli-amps.  And why would a larger LDC be required?

73
Jim Walls - K6CCC
k6ccc@amsat.org
http://home.earthlink.net/~k6ccc/