Re: Reliability of LNA's

At 05:15 AM 4/24/01 , Jon Ogden wrote:

>For an easier, beginners set up, the GAL-3 from Mini-Circuits is a very low
>cost and reliable part.  It's brand new and they just started selling it.
>In small quantities it is under $1.00.  The noise figure is about 3 dB so it
>isn't great, but not bad for a MMIC.  This part is very similar, but better
>than the popular MAR-8.

Thanks for the tip here!  In Mini-Circuits' Web site, I discovered
that the same gallium arsenide HBT technology is available in the "ERA"
series of MMICs.  These are plug-in replacements for the venerable MAR
MMICS, with much better performance.  I may upgrade my 4-year-old
DEM convertor from MAR to ERA devices.

Doug Braun
NA1DB