Re: Reliability of LNA's

PHEMPTs are getting real, real cheap.  Filtronic Solid State sells some
really, really, really nice discrete PHEMPTs for a few dollars (I don't know
the small quantity pricing).  Richardson carries Filtronic Solid State.  Be
prepared to bias with a negative voltage, match the part, etc.  They are
discrete, but really nice.

For an easier, beginners set up, the GAL-3 from Mini-Circuits is a very low
cost and reliable part.  It's brand new and they just started selling it.
In small quantities it is under $1.00.  The noise figure is about 3 dB so it
isn't great, but not bad for a MMIC.  This part is very similar, but better
than the popular MAR-8.

Any low noise device is going to be delicate to work with.  You'd have to be
very sensitive about static and of course, transmitting into it.

Of course, after all that and reading your message again, it looks like you
want to buy a ready made unit.  The best buy for your money is probably Down
East Microwave.  You can get a preamp kit from them for $40.  And the
devices they use aren't super expensive to replace should they fail.

73,

Jon
NA9D

on 4/23/01 5:14 PM, Jens H. Jensen at topcat@hardware.dk wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I am currently looking to buy my first LNA for the 1 - 2.6 Ghz range, for
> reception of AO-40 as well as other birds.
> I would like your opinion as to which of the wellknown brands are the most
> reliable and rugged electrically.
> Having an expensive PHEMT toasted is NOT my idea of fun....
>
> Any experiences wellcomed, good as bad.
>
> 73 de OZ1LRG

Jon Ogden
NA9D (ex: KE9NA)