Re: Using C band polar mounts w/ ao-40

Bob,

Oh, I agree whole heartedly.  In fact I said it would stand a little more
scrutiny.  The 3m dish will have a about 36 dBi gain at 2400 and a 3 degree
HPBW, so perhaps setting the position to see 3 degrees declination would
split the difference adequately and with the extra gain one could tolerate
some small off pointing gain loss [probably less than 6 dB].  I don't think
you will even need to remove any panels from the dish [this might be
important to other family members TV watching].  The feed should be placed
underneath the main TV feedhorn so that the small offset angle produced by
its position will favor the desired direction [+3 dec.].

One caveat, this is OK for receiving.  If used for uplink at 1269, the
effect of harmonic energy on the LNA's might be bad [smoke!].  So if you
have a dedicated TVRO dish you can optimize it for satellite operation.  If
you just share it, should work out fine for receiving [add 10G and 24G to
this].

Ed
Who will be first to try this out?