Re: FT-817 Question

Date sent:      	Sun, 22 Apr 2001 11:42:25 -0700
From:           	Jim Walls <k6ccc@earthlink.net>
Send reply to:  	k6ccc@AMSAT.Org
To:             	"Frank Grossman (WB2BXO)" <flgrossman@earthlink.net>,
  	"amsat-bb@amsat.org" <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
Subject:        	Re: [amsat-bb] FT-817 Question

> "Frank Grossman (WB2BXO)" wrote:
>
> > I'm considering purchase of an FT-817 for both satellite and H.F. work.
> > I've noticed though, that some basic features, like CW and sideband filters
> > are options.  (I realize it's not a full duplex radio.)
>
> Frank,
>     As far as I'm concerned, the lack of full duplex makes it TOTALLY
> UNACCEPTABLE for the linear satellites.  This was truly stupid on the part of
> Yaesu.  It's fine for the FM birds, but without full duplex it's just barely
> above worthless for the SSB birds.

i use my icom w32a ht and i don't use full duplex. i know with the 5 watts i am
getting into the satellite so i don't care to hear myself. on fo-20/29 or ao-10,
yes, you have to hear yourself to know if you have the uplink/downlink sync'd.
but on uo-14 and ao-27, i have never adjusted my uplink, ever. i leave it fixed.

if you are going to use fo-20/29 or ao-10 then yes, you must have full duplex.
uo-14, ao27, nope, not necessary.

73...bruce

Bruce Paige, KK5DO                    Internet: kk5do@arrl.net
Houston, Texas                                  kk5do@amsat.org
AMSAT Area Coordinator                          kk5do@amsatnet.com
Houston AMSAT Net - Tuesday, 8PM CST on W0KIE Satcom C3, T24, 7.5Mhz
Visit SHOT http://www.clarc.org/shot