Re: Using C band polar mounts w/ ao-40

John,

Good suggestions as far as you went.  Remember that TV satellite dishes
have an additional vertical offset called "declination".  So in fact the
dish is pointing a few degrees below the equatorial plane.  This is to
correct for latitude when observing near-earth objects in a geostationary
orbit.  So you would need to add the offset angle to the 5 degrees to have
pointing correct for apogee [in other words the feed position will be 5 + 7
degrees for mid-latitude northern hemisphere locations].

The dish will still not track AO-40 over the entire orbit since it is on
essentially an equatorial mount.  AO-40 will appear to vary from +5 degrees
from the equatorial plane to some angle below it depending on MA.  I do not
offer these comments to discourage you from using your TV dish, just to
point out that it is a little more complicated.  If AO-40's orbit had a
zero inclination angle then it would work perfectly; all you would need do
would be to place your feed to correct for the declination offset.

So it may be just as effective to find the az-el positions of several TV
satellites and see when AO-40 crosses near their position.  By moving the
dish east-west along the "Clark-belt" you may have a good match for an
interval of time [not sure how long..maybe twenty minutes?].  If you attach
your 2.4G feed on the side of the c-band feed it will have a small angle
offset in any case.  My 2.5m dish is fed with a ku-band wave guide feed for
VSAT [transmitting].  I merely attached a 3-turn helix onto the side of the
main feed for my radio astronomy work on 1.42G.  There is about a 3 degree
offset from doing this.

Ten years of installing TV-sat dishes and you get to know them well.  I
hope others are able to follow this.

Ed