Re: RS-15

In a message dated 4/19/01 4:52:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
glasbrenner@mindspring.com writes:

> I got home early from work today and upon checking my PC I see RS15 is
>  making a pass over the Gulf at 50+ degrees elevation. I have tried many
>  times to hear RS15, and always discounted my inability to receive to the
>  fact that I operate mainly in the evening, and maybe it's a solar
>  illumination problem. I didn't hear anything, never have. I tried CW at 90
>  watts into a 4 element az-el mounted antenna, receiving on a tribander with
>  a preamp that does really well on RS12. No signal, no beacon, nothing.

Hi Drew,

RS-15 can be very frustrating! I just got on at 2245 UTC 04/19/01. Beacon on
29.352 was S5 with QSB. For receive I was using my 10M turnstile without my
external preamp at the antenna. I had removed my ARR a while back to use the
turnstile for some 10M terrestrial stuff. Radio is an FT-847. With 50 watts
to my KLM 22C, LHCP, my downlink was S3 with some QSB. This was a 31 degree
max pass here in Vermont.

This was a pretty good pass. I was on 29.380 but no one else was around. The
bird does have issues with power/illumination.

I wouldn't count RS-15 out yet. Hope this helps.....

>  If anyone here has worked this recently, please tell all of us what the
>  secret is......
>
>  If not maybe we should move this to the dead column.

73,
Mike, N1JEZ
AMSAT #29649
Local Area Coordinator