Re: C Band

Robert,

That is a very innovative idea, and one that anyone who still uses a large
sat-TV dish could do.  I have switched to the small ku-band sat-TV system
but intend to upgrade to a 1m [4-foot] offset dish in a couple weeks as the
33 inch dish is too small for up here [fortunately the store will give me
full trade-in credit].  It would not be as useful as a c-band dish that
tracks across the "Clark-Belt", though.

I also have an 8-foot dish that could be used when I get the az-el drive
restored to operation.  It is destined for eme use eventually, but may be
required for AO-40 depending on the final orbit-status.  But back to your
original idea:

Finding the pointing coordinates by measuring is one approach.  Though, as
you point out, not entirely satisfactory.  If you have NOVA it has several
of the geocentric c-band satellites listed.  So all that is needed is to
load them into a view and record their az-el coordinates.  Now you have a
list to compare with AO-40's movement.  Since AO-40 is inclined only 6
degrees from the equatorial plane it will travel close to the geocentric
coordinates often, I would guess.  You might even be able to track it for a
short period by moving the TV dish, though coincidence of the two orbits
would extend only for a short duration [ a few degrees?].  One could
analyze this a bit more to be sure.

Ed