Re: ISS silence

>> I do know this much and that is that since last night, the expedition two
>> crew on ISS have had to deactivate many of the space station systems for
what
>> amounts to a repositioning of their Soyuz vehicle.  Doing this requires
that
>> they temporarily configure ISS as though they will not be returning.  So,
>> like with Mir, having no ground controllability of the on board amateur
gear,

>Ahhhhh...there are seven "station modes" that can be commanded:
>Standard, Microgravity, Reboost, Proximity Ops, External Ops, Survival,
>and ASCR (Assured Safe Crew Return).
>
>If they're moving the Soyuz to another docking point, they are probably
>going to Proximity Ops mode. and for this maneuver, I'm guessing that
>they all all be on board the Soyuz.
>
>That's a good point, and probably good news.

The Soyuz is the primary crew return vehicle for the ISS crew.  If it is
undocked from the station, all three of them *have* to be on it and the
station has to be prepared for unattended operation -- I believe this is a
mission rule.  Having STS docked with its crew available does allow them a
bit of leeway, but they still have to be ready to deorbit the Soyuz at any
moment while it isn't hard docked.

This is one reason ISS crews are limited to three -- once the CRV is
operational, it will allow an additional seven, I believe, to crew the
station, but it doesn't go online until sometime in 2007, I think.  Another
reason for the current limit on crew is the station still doesn't have its
full power capacity -- three more sets of solar panels identical to the
current set will be delivered as the main truss is assembled.  They also
don't yet have the capacity for cabin atmosphere gases, food, and other
consumables until the main habitation module is delivered ..

         Bruce Bostwick  mailto:lihan@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu