Re: Fwd: RE: FM Satellite Etiquette

Hello Edward!

16 Apr 01 22:51, you wrote to All:

 EC> Well, I suppose operating Leo's from Alaska is a bit different than
 EC> down in the US, judging from what has been said on the bb.  I have not
 EC> really opearated up here [did make a few contacts on UO-14 early-on
 EC> with my FT-847 and a fixed pointed M2 436CP42 and my 2m vertical [50w
 EC> works quite well].

Should be a bit quieter up there, probably closer to VK conditions at times (on
a bad day, you have to _ring_ someone for a UO-14 contact, we need another Mode
B FM bird down here!).

 EC> I will be flying to New Jersey to attend SETI-Con01 for the weekend of
 EC> April 28-29 and then to Michigan until May 6th, so can't exactly take
 EC> my 1.5kw PA and my eme array along--he, he ;-)  A freind has offered

LOL...

 EC> to sell his Arrow, so I may have one along; that and a 1/4 WL 2m
 EC> magmount whip antenna [remember it all has to pack in a suitcase].  So
 EC> alI I will have is the barefoot FT-817 "non-duplex" radio for
 EC> satellite operation!  So I will give it a go.  I have to remember to
 EC> print-out a bunch of passes for NJ/Michigan since I will have no
 EC> computer [or e-mail].

Good luck.  I think you'll do well, if you can get hold of the Arrow. :)  I
also usually take a second rig along for the downlink, just an old HT will work
fine.

Tony, VK3JED

.. If Data locks himself out of a room is that a data entry error?