RE: FM Satellite Etiquette

> I would ask the "regulars" to be careful about slipping into
> ragchew mode thinking that no one else is on the bird
> at the moment. It can be frustrating to stand there dorking with
> the frequency knob, pointing the antenna, waiting for
> an opening and have a well-equipped station start chatting
> away.

What I do is treat ragchewing as "minimum priority" traffic.  If I'm in a
ragchew and someone else breaks in, the bird is theirs.  Oh, and it's also
goof practice to leave long gaps for others to jump in.  Similarly, if
someone else is in a ragchew, I feel it's OK to break in.  It's a bit of the
opposite to normal rules, in that normally, the established QSO has
priority, but in this case, ragchewing wastes transponder time, so it's only
acceptable when the bird's vacant (down here, this is definitely _not_ an
academic point!).