RE: FM Satellite Etiquette

comments like this are just too funny. kd5fba works ao27 and uo14 almost
every day from his construction site with an icom w32a and pryme al-800
antenna. 5 watts at the best. i used to operate every week day as well from
my job using an icom w32a and pryme al-800 antenna. made at least 5-10
contacts on each pass with no problems.

i think the problem here is the inexperienced operators think that you have to
have 1500 watts to do anything. this is a common misconception when there
is a lack of operating experience. just ask w2rs about his equipment. he gets
in with his ht and a bullet antenna (1" rubber duck that looks like a bullet on
top the radio). during the amsat symposium in portland, maine, there were a
dozen of us in the parking lot all with ht's all with arrow or pryme antennas and
we all got into the satellite. maybe it was becase there were 12 of us all
transmitting that our 5 watt ht's had increased gain for those around us. but i
doubt it.

i would never advocate that people use 1500 watts into a satellite...geesh.

some of the problems on the evening and weekend passes is not that you
need the power, yes you do have to wait until the mexican taxi is done
transmitting. but there are many more people on the satellite than during
weekday passes. we are having the same problem with the iss digi right
now. it is not a problem with having enough power because most of the
people digipeating right now are using 5 watts. it is because there are just
too many signals trying for that one spot.

practice during daytime passes with your ht and rubber duck.

73...bruce