Re: FM Satellite Etiquette

Hello Mike!

15 Apr 01 14:19, you wrote to Amsat List:

 MK> Well said Drew.  I agree with you 100%.

I do too.

 >> I hear you on both of them all the time. My best advice is to call
 >> someone instead of just announcing your presence over and over.
 >> Those two

Directing a call does help, as there's at least one party listening for you
then!

 >> are capable of many many good contacts per pass if the users would
 >> observe

 >> few basic principles. Don't transmit in the blind or on top of
 >> someone
 MK>
 MK> else,
 MK>
 >> including tailending calls. Unless you are working from a rare grid
 >> or a special event, call someone when you transmit instead of just
 >> announcing your presence over and over...Is your goal to make a qso
 >> or just hear yourself? Have patience. While these sats are not
 >> inherently flawed as

First thing is to make sure one's receiving station is top notch.  While it is
true that an experienced operator can work the FM birds without the luxuary of
full duplex (heck, I've even done it with _manual_ band changes between Tx and
Rx and back - ever seen someone work an FM bird with a IC-T81A while driving?
Not exactly a good ad for road safety!), full duplex will make it _much_ easier
to know when to transmit and when you're doubling (so you can back off and give
the other guy a chance to get his QSO).

 >> naysayers would have you believe, they are limited. I have operated
 >> mobile from over 17 grids this year with nothing more than a mobile
 >> radio and a magmount antenna (including 3 grids today!), and still
 >> get frustrated at times. Good Luck. Drew, KO4MA ---- Via the
 >> amsat-bb mailing list at AMSAT.ORG courtesy of AMSAT-NA. To
 >> unsubscribe, send "unsubscribe amsat-bb" to Majordomo@amsat.org

Oh, one does get frustrated on a busy satellite, usually because someone
doesn't play by the rules, but you get that, just let it float past and get on
with making contacts. :)

It gets even more interesting when you put yourself in a relatively difficult
situation, where you have local variables to contend with, as well as the
alligators on the bird! :)  That's when it'd helpful to have ham friends as
"spotters" who can look out for you, and clear a path for that "interesting"
QSO.  I've needed spotters when the alligators are biting and I'm on a trian
somewhere...

Tony, VK3JED

.. What we REALLY need is a Fountain of Smart!