RE: FM Satellite Etiquette

This is an old story.  I was flamed pretty good when I brought
it up, I guess you should expect the same.

> How much ERP does a station really need?

That depends.  Do you want to have a chance to work a few
contacts, or do you want to play nice?  I heard my downlink
a few times with the handheld setup, and even using my
IC-820 on a tri-band J-pole.  But I never had much luck
breaking the group until I put up an AO-10 class station.
It would be nice if EVERYBODY used 5 watt radios.  But since
they don't, you either need to compete, or fail to compete.
Like they say, you can't run with the big dogs if you pee
like a puppy.  I run some decent ERP, and I (infrequently)
make 2 or 3 contacts, then stop and let others in.  Basically,
I stopped complaining, put up the antennae, and started
making contacts.

I don't think you will have much luck changing the way
people do things, you would be much better off changing the
way you do it.

Good luck,

Mike.

My E-mail address: mailto:kd9kc@elp.rr.com