Re: Re: [sarex] Loose lips sink ships, etc.

on 4/14/01 6:31 PM, Dave Guimont at dguimon1@san.rr.com wrote:

> The entire ISS is nothing but a boondoggle when they support a crew up
> there.  I have no figures to
> prove it, but my guess would be that for 1/100th of what is costing now to
> put a crew up there,
> it could be done even better by remote control.   I'm a retired Navy pilot,
> retired in 1967, and at
> that time pilotless aircraft were coming into being.  Right today very few
> "manned missions" can
> come close to the efficiency and cost effectiveness of remotes in aircraft,
>
> That "idiot box" flying around up there now should be filled with JUST
> THOSE BOXES!
>
> Some day the country will wake up...
>
> 73, Dave wb6llo@amsat.org
> Disagree: I learn....

Yeah, Dave, I do disagree.  So what if the ISS is a boondogle.  People
probably thought the same about such great figures as DaVinci, Vasco DaGama,
Ferdinand Magellan and Christopher Columbus.  Hell, Columbus failed
miserably.  He never did find the way to India.  Gosh, what a freaking
failure he was.

Mankind has always wanted to press the limits and press forward.  So the ISS
isn't perfect.  If it was a USA only built station, I am sure it would be
better.  This past year I paid more in taxes than most people make.  I wish
I didn't have to pay that much.   The only two things I don't mind paying
taxes for are the defense budget and the NASA budget.  If I could be
guaranteed that my taxes would go 50% to each one, I wouldn't bitch.  It's
not perfect, but nothing ever is.

Mr. Oler, thinks he knows how to do space stuff better than anyone else.
His opinion - not mine.

73,

Jon
NA9D