Re: Re: [sarex] What am I doing wrong...?]

From: "Jon Ogden" <na9d@mindspring.com>

> The biggest problem is with the D7's packet modem, IMHO.  I don't think it
> decodes packets that well if there is any noise on them.

I don't think the right word is "noise", rather a better word might be
"distortion".  When SO35 was in 1200baud mode I could copy virtually every
packet -- even ones that lit few or no elements on the "S-meter" on my D7.
The same is true now for ISS -- I can decode almost anything I hear.  BUT,
it is very unforgiving on signals from poorly adjusted TNC's and signals
distorted by multipath (even signals that are more than full quieting on the
"S-meter").

On a related note .. there was an article in the Philadelphia Inquirer
yesterday about a local TV news person who bought a very expensive HDTV set
up.  He lives in Center City Philadelphia and he can only get a few of the
available stations because of multipath distortion.  Needless to say the
HDTV stuff went back .
73,
Stephen
W3SMK