RE: AGWPE (latency)

Kaj Wiik <kwi@cc.hut.fi> wrote:

>Cannot resist to send this link, I think it is very useful
>for Linux audio users:
>http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/lad/resourceslatency.php3
>
>"If you observe all the above, you should be able to
>achieve consistent worse-case scheduling latencies of
>0.5 milliseconds on a 500MHz machine."
>(snip...)

"Doctor, Windows messes up time-critical sound
applications!"

"Then don't use Windows for time-critical sound appli-
cations."

Five hundred microseconds is actually better than I
thought I'd get: I'd settle for tens of milliseconds.
I've never heard my Linux box as much as hiccup on
sound recording or playback...

My Real Job (tm) involves embedded real-time stuff under
VxWorks. But even then, for the really tight timing, we
farm it out to a dedicated co-processor that does
little else.