RE: QSLing Packet on the ISS

> Most FM birds demod to audio and then modulates again
> recreating the FM
> signal. I believe AO-21 went even further and went to digital
> and then used
> a DSP to create the FM-downlink.

This is true.  The current FM birds to demod all the way back to audio.

> So I guess my WAS and VUCC via SO-21 should not have counted since it
> digitally recreated the signal.  I guess it time to reapply
> using only SSB
> transponder contacts.

Well, if the rules are applied as for packet (it went through a digital
regenerator), one would say you're technically correct.

> I suppose the SO-35 parrot repeater should not have counted
> either. It also may
> have gone to digital and been remodulated.

Yes, the parrot was a digital device, the 10 secs of audio was stored in
RAM.  In fact, this is pretty much identical to a digipeater, except that
the input and output is analog, but internally, it's store and forward of
data bits...  In my article on working the parrot, I did draw parallels with
packet digis.

> I don't see how these differ from using unproto digi keyboard
> to keyboard QSO.
> I never did work any new grids using that mode on Mir.  The
> signal is converted
> to digital, and then the digital signal is used to modulate the
> transmitter. Whats
> is the difference!  sounds like 0 and 1's bias to me.

Common sense says you're right.  I'd be inclined to agree.  Whether the end
product be voice or data, digital store and forward is digital store and
forward.  It's a bit like some of the regulations in some parts of the
world, sometimes they don't quite make sense.

For me, this is purely academnic, as I don't chase awards (can't be bothered
with the paperwork, and my collection of .WAV and .MP3 files is all the
proof I need :) ), but they should be consistent and allow all of these
store and forward modes, or disallow them, not allow some and disallow
others on some other basis.