RE: More AIDC 3373 & newbie.

> I have had good luck using HT harmonics (with a DJ-580).
> I didn't need any fancy-pants harmonic generator circuit, either.
> I just set the HT to the lowest power setting and put
> a dummy load on the antenna terminal.
>
> I can easily pick it up from 20 feet away with my helix antenna.

I've had good luck using the 6th harmonic of 400 MHz and surplus MMDS
converters.  One good reason to modify radios for out of band operation is
that they become useful signal sources for these tests...

> If you can mute the xmit audio, that helps a lot, too.
> You could get the appropriate plug for the external mike
> (a submini stereo headphone plug, in my case) and rig
> up dummy external audio/PTT circuit.
>
> Don't expect to receive audio very well even in FM mode,
> because the FM deviation will be multiplied as much
> as the carrier frequency, so it will mostly overload
> the receiver.

Unless you use a scanner with WFM. :)  I found the 6th harmonic isn't so bad
for overdeviation, provided there are no loud noises around the radio.